Subscribe

Enter your email address to get regular updates from us

Dr. Ambedkar National Merit Scholarship Scheme for Meritorious Students of Scheduled Castes/Schedule: Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment

Name of the Scheme : Dr. Ambedkar National Merit Scholarship Scheme for Meritorious Students of Scheduled Castes/Schedule

Sponsored by :Central Government

Description : To recognizing, promoting and financially assisting meritorious students belonging to Scheduled Castes for pursuing higher studies.

Beneficiaries : Children

Benefits: Financial Assistance

Eligibility criteria

(i) Students should belong to Scheduled Castes (SC) or Scheduled Tribe(ST).

(ii) Family income of the students from all sources should not be more than Rs. 1.00 lakh in the preceding financial year.

(iii) There shall be separate awards for SCs and STs.

(iv)The student should have appeared in any of the recognized State/Central Board of Secondary Education and scored not less than 50% marks in the aggregate in the Secondary Certificate Examination.

How to Avail

The Board/ Council conducting the examination shall send details of the students (name, address, family income, percentage of mark, school last attended, nearest bank etc.) in the format given as Annexure-II to the Ambedkar Foundation within 15 days of announcement of the examination results, with copy of the Secretary, Education, Department of the concerned State Government. For the purpose of family income, a certificate given by the father/guardian of the child or Principal of the School attended will suffice. The information should be duly authenticated by the Secretary of the Board/ Council. The State Government shall verify and forward the list to the Foundation within the next 15 days, provided that if details are not received from the State Government within the Scheduled time, action will be taken based on the details received from the Board/ Council.

Validity of the Scheme

Introduced On
01 / 11 / 2008

Valid Upto
01 / 11 / 2010

6. NO.OF SCHOLARSHIP

6.1       The Ambedkar National Merit Scholarship will be given to three students scoring highest marks in the regular Class X level examination

conducted by the Education Board/Council.  This will be separate for Scheduled casts and Scheduled Tribes.  In case none of the first three eligible students are girls, the girl student scoring the highest marks will get a special award.

6.2       Thus, there shall be four awards for each of the 26 Boards for SC i.e. 104 awards and likewise another 104 awards for STs. In case more than one student scoring the same marks, the number of awards would be accordingly increased for covering all such eligible students.

6.3       Keeping in view the SC & ST population of the country as per 1991 census, 250 no. of special merit scholarship @ Rs.10,000/- each will be given to SC/ST students securing next highest marks, after first, second and third position. This will be in addition to the awards indicated at para 2 above. The break up of these 250 awards is given in Annexure II.

7.         AMOUNT OF SCHOLARSHIP 

The scholarship will be given as one-time grant as per the following norms: -

I.   

Student securing highest marks

Rs.60, 000/-

II.  

Student securing 2nd highest marks

Rs.50, 000/-

III. 

Student securing 3rd highest marks        

Rs.40, 000/-

IV. 

Girl student securing highest marks

(In case she is not in the above three categories)

Rs.40, 000/-

Total

Rs.1,90,000/-(Per Board/Council)

This award amount will be payable over and above any other scholarship/award; the student may receiving from other sources.  

8.         FINANCIAL IMPLICATION

8.1       For 104 SC Students of 26 Boards                                           Rs. 49.4 lakh

8.2       For 104 ST students  of 26 Boards                                          Rs.  49.4 lakh

Total                                              Rs.  98.8 lakh

8.3       Special Scholarship 250 number @ Rs.10.000 =             Rs.  25.0 lakh

8.4       Total estimated expenditure                                                      Rs. 123.8 lakh 

8.5       Total no. of  students to be benefited SC 104 + 167                =          271

ST 104 + 83                                         =         187

——-

Total = 458 Nos.

———

9.       MODE OF SELECTION  

DISBURSEMENT   

10.       The proposal received from the recognized Board/ Council shall be processed in the Foundation and the Award amount shall be sent to the student awardees directly in the form of an Account Payee Bank Draft by registered post under intimation to the Board/ Council and the educational institution last attended. The student awardees will be encouraged to keep the amount in fixed deposit and avail the interest accrued thereon, provided that there will be no bar for utilizing the amount for meeting personal educational health related expenditure.  

11.       Student awardees securing first, second, third and the girl student securing highest mark in each of the 26 boards/councils may either be invited to the Dr. Ambedkar  Foundation, New Delhi for a felicitation each  year or Foundation may send the awards to the student awardees through the respective District Magistrate/ Deputy Commissioners  as per the convenience. In case the Foundation invites the students, the awardee and one escort will be paid actual fare by sleeper class train/bus from their place of study or from their hometown (both ways). A sum of Rs.2.08 lakh (@ Rs.1000/- (for awardee and escort on an average) will be spent for the purpose.  

12.       The scheme will have a total financial implication of Rs.125.88 lakhs per annum. It will benefit 458 students all over the country directly and will be of considerable indirect benefit to the students belonging to weaker sections by recognition of merit and academic excellence. In case any doubt is raised on the scheme, it shall be referred to the Dr. Ambedkar Foundation and decision of the Foundation will be final.  

Reference URL : http://www.ambedkarfoundation.nic.in/html/nms.htm

Share and Enjoy:
  • Print
  • Digg
  • Sphinn
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Mixx
  • Google Bookmarks
  • blogmarks
  • email
  • FriendFeed
  • IndianPad
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • MySpace
  • Netvibes
  • NewsVine
  • PDF
  • Reddit
  • RSS
  • StumbleUpon
  • Technorati
  • Twitter
  • Yahoo! Buzz